Preparation time: 90 minutes
Recipe courtesy of Citrus Australia Limited
- 800g lamb shoulder, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 Navel oranges
- 400-600 ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 2 Navel oranges, segmented
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Place meat and oil in a large heavy-based saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, cumin, sambal oelek, and toss together over medium heat.
- Pour in orange juice and 400 ml of stock (a little more liquid may be added later). Bring to the boil reduce heat cover and simmer for 1-hour stirring occasionally.
- Stir through chickpeas and cook for a further 15-30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Gently stir through orange segments and season with salt.
- Serve in a traditional tagine dish.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and coriander before serving.