Preparation time: 20
Cooking Time: 2-2 ½ hours
Recipe courtesy of Beef and Lamb.
- 1kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- a good shake each Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5-3cm cubes. Season the beef with salt and pepper add 2 tablespoons of oil and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place it in a casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan add a little oil onion and carrot and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir until the vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock stirring well. Add the Worcestershire sauce soy sauce and herbs and stir until the mixture boils. Remove frypan from heat and transfer contents to the casserole dish and stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish and place in the oven. Stir every 40 minutes or so adding water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. Cook until the beef is very tender.